Safe cycling Tips
Here are some of our top tips:
- Obey traffic laws - rules 59 to 82 in the Highway Code applies to cyclists. Follow correct road procedure at road junctions and roundabouts. Keep to the left of the cycle lane and if you must overtake, do so from the right. Use hand signals before turning or where appropriate.
- Wear a helmet on every ride - a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations could prevent head injuries as it’s the most likely cause of cycling related deaths.
- Wear a reflective or bright clothing - so that you’ll always be visible in the dark.
- When riding at night - ensure that you have appropriate white front and red rear lights lit as well as reflective accessories.
- Stay alert - always check for uneven surfaces, pot holes, turning vehicles and opening car doors. This last point is particularly relevant when riding next to parked cars.
- Be comfortable - always wear appropriate clothing and footwear. A good tip for winter is if you start your ride and you’re not cold, then you’re wearing too many layers.
- Be prepared - ensure you carry a mobile phone and a puncture repair kit if you run into any problems. Always maintain and service your bike regularly so it’s in perfect working order.