The proposals for the new station include:
- Four platforms with step-free access via a footbridge and lifts;
- Platform seating and shelter for waiting passengers;
- A ticket office, ticket vending machines and automatic gates;
- Taxi and passenger drop off facilities;
- Cycle and Blue Badge parking;
- Facilities such as a retail/catering unit, a waiting room and toilets.
The new station is proposed to be built in the vicinity of the growing Cambridge Biomedical Campus to improve connectivity in the Cambridgeshire region and improve accessibility for patients and visitors to Addenbrooke’s and Royal Papworth hospitals. The new station would also provide better connections to proposed new housing development across the southern fringe of the city.
Subject to gaining the necessary funding and consent, work could start on the station in 2023 with a target of station opening in 2025.
The public will be invited to attend consultation events to comment on the proposals being put forward which includes three possible location options and early designs for the station and possible access. To find out more about these planned consultation events, please see here.