The Multi-Utility Trench (MUT) works will be carried out end of March and substantially completed by end of March 2020. The new utilities are being placed for this phase of works but also for future phases. This will have significant impact on pedestrians and cyclists (both to and from the station). When these services extend into this strip adjacent to Cowley Road it will require the full closure of this cycle and footpath until the end of October 2019. This closure will require the diversion of cyclists and pedestrians down the pathway of the guided bus route.
When this area is reopened, the cycle way on the west side of Milton Ave will continue to remain closed as the utility works continue towards the station. Pedestrians will therefore be directed to the east side of Milton Ave as will cyclists who will be requested to dismount and join the pedestrians on the same pathway. Safety consultants wish to separate cyclists from construction activities which is one of the factor for redirecting cyclists to the station via the guided bus route in order to maintain that separation. All cyclists will be encouraged to use this route.
End of March 2019, following activities will take place:
- Closure of the pedestrian and cycle path parallel to Cowley Road
- Closure of access gate (“short cut” from Cambridge Business Park onto the pedestrian/cycle route)
- Diversion of pedestrians and cyclists to guided bus route
- Routing of buses and coaches to temporary turn-around on the car park approach road and closure of bus route down to station
- Closure of Milton Ave Link Road
- Guided bus route - Localised restrictions to roadway around site
Please note these dates may change depending on the progress of works onsite.