Bike share is developing rapidly in the UK and a second report has come out for 2017. The report indicates that bike sharing is attracting more people to cycle and provides a snapshot of who uses bike share and the way they use it. Key points are as follows:
- Increasing number of women are using bike share and they combine it with public transport. People use bike share for parts of trips made by public transport - 40% use bike share and the train, and 25% use bike share and the bus in the same journey.
- More women use public bike share than ride their own bikes. Only 25% of cycle trips are on personal bikes.
- A significant number of people switched journeys from cars to bike share bikes, which has a direct impact on congestion and emissions.
- Of all those surveyed started to cycle or increased the amount they cycle as a result of the bike share scheme.
- Bike share encourages people to leave the car at home.
Full report on the bike survey can be found here